Friday, December 14, 2012

Dec 14th – Taxol SUCKS


One week post Taxol, man that stuff sucked.  This is what happened:  I went to Chemo on Wednesday and was hooked up to the IV’s.  This time I even put on several layers of the cream that’s supposed to numb my port but that doesn’t help.  So much for out-smarting a needle.  Then the nurse injected my IV with 50 mgs of Benadryl.  Whoa.  I could taste it and that was weird but them BAM! It hit me.  I’ve taken 50 mgs of Benadryl to sleep, that’s just 2 pills that take roughly 30 mins to dissolve.  I’ve never had 50mgs injected into an IV and although I kind of like the quick hitting side of the injection, this was crazy.  While she was still injecting the Benadryl I remember asking the nurse if my head was supposed to feel loopy and if I was supposed to taste it and turning my head away so that I couldn’t taste it but I don’t think my head could get far enough away from my neck where the port is (duh) so I surely tasted it. 

The side effects of the Taxol hit me Friday night when my friend Lorrie and I were driving towards my company Christmas party around 7:30.  I chickened out of the party reminding myself that I don’t have to be brave all the time (thanks to therapy for that!).  We turned right instead of going straight, Lorrie was driving because I felt ‘kind of funny,’   and for the next 30-45 mins we drove around trying to decide what to do.  We ended up at Mandina’s for a glass of wine and onion rings and then came home for top ramen and another glass of wine.  As we were sitting at Mandina’s I started to get a really intense achy feeling so I was happy we skipped the party.  This achy feeling got worse as the weekend went on.  My hips, legs, knees, ankles, inner thighs, outer thighs, hamstrings, quads and calves hurt.  Oh and cramps like I’ve never had.   On a pain scale of 1-10 the constant pain was at a 40.  And the shooting pain was a 4,000. I tried vicodin, iburpfen, Lortab, a hot bath, heating pads, ice packs, elevating, walking, standing, sitting, lying down, even a bloody mary and nothing made me feel better.  Finally on Monday the pain started to ease up.  I can’t say my legs don’t feel ‘kind of funny’ now but I can handle this.  This is a walk in the park compared to 3 days ago.
I have never in my life been in so much pain.  Dr Barnhill better have something up her sleeve and whatever it is, I’m willing to try.  Well…  I don’t think I’d eat monkey brains.  But maybe I would.
And on a brighter note, tomorrow is the benefit!  Rescue the Tatas!  I‘m so excited!  The generosity of everyone is really impressive.  I’m truly thankful to everyone who has donated and to those that are helping out.  If you can make it, even for a few minutes, I think you’ll be impressed and you might walk away with some cool gifts for others, or yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment