Wednesday, July 15, 2020

You're not alone

Did you know you're not alone?  Like really, you're not alone.  I'm not talking physically alone, I'm talking about experiencing things that you experience. 

 

You might not know the people with the shared experiences. 

 

You might be surprised WHO has the shared experiences.

 

You might not be surprised who has the shared experiences.

 

The point is, we all have shared experiences and most of us are too afraid or embarrassed to share them but I'm telling you, you are not alone. 

 

How do I know?  Because every time I mention something that's going on with me (a weird twitch, smelly armpits, cancer, side effects of medicines, frizzy hair, the list goes on…) someone else has experienced it or knows someone else who has. 

 



Are you asking yourself, what's the big deal with this?  Let me tell you!  There are a few reasons why it's important to know you're not alone:


Just knowing someone else has experienced the same thing is reassuring 




            There IS someone you can talk to.  When I was going through breast cancer, I had "my person" that I would text at all hours of the day or night who had gone through the same thing.  Another friend put us in touch with each other.  Knowing it's normal, even if it sucks, to experience certain things helped me to be more accepting of my experience.   




The more I talk about things, the more suggestions I get for how to combat or deal with things.  Hopefully it won't require this many flowers :)



Have you ever wanted a referral from someone who had experience with a provider, medical or otherwise, but didn't know how to go about getting it?  Ask around!




And remember, when someone tells you about something going on in their life, be nice.  You might not understand or have experience with it yourself but if they're telling you, they need to talk about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment