Wednesday, May 20, 2020

So you think you can dance





Three flowers!
I remember, very well, being on a happy hour zoom call with 2 friends back at the beginning of the pandemic.  I held up a nearly dead plant and said I had started watering it and was going to save it.  We all laughed.  And today, roughly 60 days later, I have a healthy plant with beautiful green leaves and 3 (THREE) flowers!  

You know what else I've done?  I'm so excited about this!  A few months ago I was writing "I took a creative arts class" as one of my goals.  Then I changed it to "I took a hip hop dance class."  As I researched this, and by researching I mean I asked my friend Joyce where I could talk a hip hip dance class, I came to the conclusion I might never reach this goal.  Joyce has choreographed some dances for You Night and also taught us a dance at our Leadership retreat.  She recommended a few resources and the more I looked, the more I decided I probably wouldn’t actually  go to a hip hop dance class, mostly because of time but also because of my insecurities.    I definitely had a limiting belief that this white girl can't dance.  This was all in January.

On Saturday, April 4th I hosted my first Saturday Morning Dance Party on Zoom.  We find dances online and learn them, or do our best.  We get our 30+ minutes of exercise, we laugh at each other and ourselves and we're learning dances.  We started with RIGHT FOOT NOW LEFT FOOT TIK TOK  and have since attempted The Electric Slide, The Chicken Dance, The Git Up by Blanco Brown and any other wedding reception dance song we can think of.  Last Saturday we stepped it up and started learning a Janet Jackson dance.  I'm so excited and proud of myself.  I realized I'm not only learning hip hop dances but I'm hosting my own class!  I knocked that limiting belief out of the park!



In the beginning.  I think it'd already been watered a bit
First flower!
Two Flowers!



2 comments: