Wednesday, June 3, 2020

I'm still learning




I don't understand why some people think the color of someone's skin makes them better, or worse, than the other.  To try and understand what exactly racism is, why racism exists and what to do about it, I reached out to some friends for some reading suggestions.  I need to learn and grow.  I need some history. I think I failed to pay attention to anything other than boys when I was in high school and if my dad were here, I'm sure he'd agree.  One thing I know is, it is never to late to learn.



My plan is to do my best to learn, to understand and to support.  I'd like to say that my circle is well rounded.  I'd say I have a decent amount of black friends. I think I respect everyone.  I dislike racist words and behaviors.  But I don't think that's enough.    At this point, I'm not sure how to show my support but I intend to find out.

I plan to watch I Am Not Your Negro

Book recommendations from friends:
The Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
Race Matters by Cornell West
The Souls of Black Folks by W.E.B. Dubois
Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates
Me and White Supremacy by Layla F. Saad
White Fragility by Robin J DiAngelo


If you dislike this post, I think it's safe to say you can definitely not comment and absolutely feel free to unfollow me.  

I saw this beautiful flower on my walk today and thought you needed to see it too. 



No comments:

Post a Comment