Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Kindness Matters



Every morning since the beginning of September I've written down at least 5 things I'm grateful for.  By starting the day reflecting on the good things from the day before I've become more intentional about looking for things to be grateful for. Yesterday I read a post on Facebook with pictures of random acts of kindness and it got me thinking, not only should I be looking for things to be grateful for but I should be looking for things that I can do for others, giving them something to be grateful for. 

 

It’s hard to come up with things that I've done recently because I haven’t been out in public much but here are a couple of things I've done in the past:

 

  • I've made a few trips to Starbucks over the past 3 months.  Knowing my mom likes her Tall 1 shot Americano's but hasn't been going to Starbucks, I picked her up coffees even though she didn't ask (#1 daughter!)

 

  • We always drive the same route to Jazz Fest and one day I decided to bring breakfast for the guys standing at the corner.  Among other things Jazz Fest related, I missed the opportunity to do this in 2020.

 

  • Micah eats his breakfast in the car on the way to school.  Sometimes, for whatever reason, he doesn’t eat it. I started giving it to a man on a corner.  Now when Micah doesn’t want to eat his food he tells me to give it to a homeless man.  Kind of back fires on me because he’s not eating but totally worth it to give something away.  And I love that Micah thinks of it.

 

 

Here are some ideas of things to be grateful for and things you can do to make someone else's day better:

 

  • Let someone in front of you  while driving
  • Hold the door for someone
  • Take someone's cart from the parking lot to the door as you're walking in (it drives me crazy that I can't do this right now! But I don't want cooties!)
  • Pay for the order of the person behind you in line (if you have the funds!)
  • Pick up something that someone has dropped (again, cooties…  be careful)
  • Say hi! 
  • Compliment a stranger

 

 

 

I know, there is a TON of bad, negative, sad stuff going on right now but what I’d love to do is add to this list with our own acts of kindness.  Please share what you've done and give us ideas of what we can all do!


Check out these Random Acts of Kindness




No comments:

Post a Comment