Friday, February 15, 2013

Good news first


Good News – the cancer did NOT spread to my lymph nodes!  I realized the night before my appointment that I expected the results to be negative, like I expected the original biopsy to indicate a benign tumor, not cancer.  I said a prayer right then.  Not that God would change his plans because of my prayer but that I was leaving things in His hands and had maybe taken Him for granted by assuming everything would be ok. It’s a good thing I’ve got other people praying for me when I forget to.
I asked  the doctor if radiation was a possibility because my tumor had grown before it was removed. Unless something else comes up the answer is no.  There isn’t anywhere to radiate since my breast tissue was removed and the lymph nodes are negative.  Good News! Good News! Good News!


Not so good news, I woke up at 4:45 Thursday morning with pain in my right side when I would take a breath.  I thought it was related to the tightness of my binder that I was given on Wednesday (the binder is used to keep compression on my stomach now that all my drains are out) so I loosened the binder but it didn’t help.  I mentioned something about it at my post op appointment but we all blew it off.  Besides we received great news, the cancer did not spread to my lymphatic system, so there were better things to think about! 

I went home to rest.  I was pretty tired which stood out to me because lately I feel rested when I wake up.  When I woke up from my nap I was still hurting and the pain was making me cry. I haven’t cried very many times through this whole thing so that was scaring me a little.  I called the doctor and was advised to get checked at the ER to make sure there wasn’t a blood clot.
There is no clot.  However, I do have a Pneumothorax, or punctured lung, and was admitted to the hospital last night.  Where did it come from?  We’re not sure but one thought is it might have happened during surgery.  The doctors were doing all sorts of things inside my body and might’ve nicked my lung.  Why did it take 9 days to show up?  No answer.  How do we fix it?  I’ve had this big oxygen mask on since last night so that I breathe 100% oxygen.  I should’ve never complained about the little nose oxygen things I had last week!  I’d take those any day over this! The oxygen is supposed to somehow help something happen to fix things (aren’t you glad I’m not your doctor explaining things to you???).  If this doesn't work a chest tube will be inserted to extract the air.  I will have my 3rd xray at 2pm today to see if the oxygen is doing the trick. 
I don’t think there’s a need to worry, I’m being monitored and taken care of.  We just have to  wait to see what’s next and I’ll let you all know as soon as I can .

No comments:

Post a Comment