Thursday, February 6, 2014

I'm Pooped!


I don’t remember ever having such a low energy level.  I know I was tired during chemo and wasn’t sleeping well but this, I think, is different.  I get at least 9 hours of sleep per night.  Most nights I don’t wake up at all, even if I go to bed early.  Last week I went to bed at 7:30, probably fell asleep around 8:30 and did not wake up until 7am.  I feel good and rested when I wake up but by 12:30-1pm I’m tired.  I have trouble keeping my eyes open and even find it hard to talk or at least speak clearly.  It’s not like I’m tired and should be sleeping it’s like I’m exhausted and my body needs to rest.  Apparently the low energy levels stem from radiation and could last 2-3 months.  My body is busy rebuilding my cells that were killed during radiation.  It’s all so weird because I don’t SEE anything happening but when I hit the wall, I hit the wall  hard and it’s time to stop.  My afternoons are generally spent on the couch or lazy boy, which isn’t a bad way to spend an afternoon!
Funny story - I told Micah I was pooped one day and he said "Oh!  Momma's pooping."  He's definitely to the age where he's making us laugh a lot.

Last Saturday we celebrated Micah’s 3rd birthday party at Chuck E. Cheese.  It was wonderful seeing him play with his friends and having fun at his birthday party. 
Right after the party I dropped everyone off and went for my last radiation treatment which we celebrated with champagne and flowers. 
 
Sunday was Bobby’s 40th birthday, which we celebrated at home by ourselves J   We do have a trip to Portland and Black Butte coming up as a birthday present.  Bobby is always giving me a hard time for not taking him to the snow (I hate the snow!) so this trip really is for him (I want to make sure this is clear, this trip is for him.  Not me!  But I will enjoy it also!)

 
Bobby and I met with Dr Barnhill last week to discuss my chemo plan.  I will be getting my port put back in on Feb 10th and starting chemo on Feb 20.  How I handle this chemo is unknown but I could lose my hair, have nausea, be tired and/or have low blood counts.

What are low blood counts?   I have to give blood before every chemo treatment and if my levels aren’t in the right place the treatment will be postponed.  I know they check my white blood cell count but I’m not sure what else they check.  I believe the white blood cell count is the biggest concern and also the one that Dr Barnhill expects me to have problems with.  The white blood cells are what fight infection so if my count is low I’m more susceptible to infection.  Last time I would get my ‘white blood cell shot’ which you might remember me talking about.  I can’t get it this time because there has to be 14 days between the shot and the next chemo, which I will not have.  I guess there is a shot I can get for 3 days that would help.  There’s something to combat all side effects, how well they work is another thing! 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment