Thursday, January 30, 2014

Where is my hot and humid weather?


Who would’ve thought the cold weather in Louisiana would stop us from moving forward!  Bobby and our friend Gabe flew to Portland last Monday, picked up a moving truck and packed up my moms stuff to bring it out here.  They drove though mountains and across winter-weather states to make it 4.5 hours away from home where they spent the night at Bobby’s sisters house.  When they woke up the next morning roads were closed.  By mid-morning they were able to leave only to drive for about 7 hours to make it 1.5 hours away from home to get stuck again.  What began as a 4 day trip ended up taking 6 days.
Then, we had another "arctic blast" with "wintry weather" warnings, road closures, bridge closures, work closures, Starbucks closures (Micah and Nana got kicked out!) and school closures.  As I saw on Facebook, New Orleans was Closed and would return on Thursday. 
So, here we are on Thursday and New Orleans is open.  Included in all those closures was the Cancer Center so my radiation was postponed for 2 days.  Today was going to be my last day of radiation but I have 3 more days including today.  No biggie, it’s not like I’ll feel great on my last day.  It takes 2-4 weeks to heal.  My skin started peeling like when you do when you’re sunburnt except when I’m sunburnt I pick at it and peel it and scratch it once the redness is gone.  With this burn I do not touch it except to put aquaphor on the irritated skin.  Time (and patience) will heal this wound.

I also meet with my Oncologist (Dr Barnhill) today to plan Chemo.  I have to get my port-a-cath put back in.  The port is a little plastic thing they insert in my chest that has a tube like thing that goes into a vein in my neck.  When I go in for chemo they insert a needle into the port and this is how the chemo is administered.    My breast surgeon (Dr Jones) will put the port in during an outpatient procedure and I don’t have to heal from this surgery, I can start chemo the next day if this is what Dr Barnhill decides I should do.  I have a feeling I will be getting the port put back in and starting chemo in mid to late February. 
Something else I saw on Facebook is this quote: "Everyone you meet is fighing a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always."  I want to remind everyone that it doesn't have to be cancer that you're battling.  It can be anything, your battle is your battle and I don't think you should compare it to mine or anyone elses.  You are my friends and family and your battles are important to me. 
Micah turned 3 this weekend!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment