Thursday, January 2, 2014

Boring is good, I guess


It’s kind of funny but I feel sort of lame posting an update because my updates are kind of boring.  I’m 15 radiation treatments in and have 20 remaining.  The first day was a little rough emotionally but things have improved and the whole process usually takes about 30 minutes.  So far, the only side effects I’m experiencing are a super heavy and sore breast.  I don’t wear a bra, not even the cheap sports bras I bought because they hurt (good thing I had my reconstruction surgery already!).  They radiate my left breast from all angles with this big machine that moves around me while I lay on a table.  The table has this mold of my upper body and the radiation therapists adjust my position to the centimeter, maybe millimeter (I don’t really know, they say to each other “I need 2” or I need ½” or “I need In” or “I need out” or “I need a roll” and then they move me by moving the sheet that I’m on and then they say “I’m good all over”) and we begin.  First the machine takes x-rays to make sure I’m really in the right spot and then they start the radiation.  I don’t feel a thing, I don’t see anything ‘radiating’ me.  The machine moves around my body, from right side, above me, to the left and then behind me.  I can’t move the entire time and the only way I know the radiation is occurring is that I hear the machine make the noise. 
Here's a picture of the bed and radiation machine.  I lay on the bed and the big grayish machine moves all around me. 


 
In the next few weeks my skin will probably become more irritated and could blister.  I hope it isn’t too bad and that they can continue with my treatment.  But I know I’m lucky as I see other patients waiting for radiation who aren’t as lucky.  Like the young guy, probably 35, who comes with his family and was checked into the ER yesterday because of pain he was having.  He’s pale and skinny and I just want to hug him.  Pray for him and others who are having a rough time with treatment.  Pray for the children who are going through this, who must be scared out of the minds with their parents being even more scared. 

We had a good Christmas.  Helena was with us, Bobby's mom and Mason came over and my mom was already here.  Micah ripped open his presents and then made us put everything together.  Helena got something she's been asking for for 20 years (she said 20 years, we reminded her she's only 16) and Bobby cooked everything!  Chicken and sausage gumbo, two fried turkeys and potato salad and yes, we had leftovers. 

Christmas morning
 
 Merry Christmas from New Orleans (that's the superdome!)


No comments:

Post a Comment