Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Time flies


The past 30 days have flown by and it feels more like years vs. days since I received my diagnosis.  I imagine the things that I’ll experience over the next few months will make it feel like many more years vs. months.  My plan is to be done with all of this by Jazz Fest. I have 214 days or 7 months and 2 days or 5,112 hours to prepare, I’m guess I'm starting to prepare early this year.  I usually don’t start preparing until December/January when they announce the bands. 
The turnout for the Race for the Cure was perfect.  I hope everyone had as good a time as I did!  Here's our team, minus a few.
And some more pics
Katie and me
 Micah Kickin It Pink
 The youngest team members of Kickin It Pink

Julie, Katie and me

So my mom called the newspaper and said her daughter would make a good story.  This is the journalist interviewing me. It'll print on Sunday, I really hope he got a good story because all I remember is saying "Like... Like... Like..."
 Noah and Heather (Rachael in the background)
 Micah and my mom/Nana
My family


I had an appointment with my Oncologist, Dr. Barnhill, yesterday.  She said the tumor has shrunk which is obviously great news and makes it easier to see that we should continue on the same treatment plan.  I continue to really like Dr. Barnhill. She spent quite awhile with us answering my questions, some that I had from reading things (“Am I at a higher risk for heart disease and how do I prevent that?”  The answer is yes, I am but it’s not the kind we think of or can prevent.  It affects the pump (I think that’s what it was) and the risk becomes high when the dose of chemo you get is much higher than what I’m getting)  and some silly questions but ones I wanted to know the answer to! (“Do YOU understand cancer?”  She laughed, and her answer was “No one understands it or we’d have a cure.” And then continued to explain what cancer is.)  While explaining that I can have a glass of wine I responded with “so I shouldn’t go to Bourbon St and have a drink at every bar?”  She laughed again and suggested maybe ½ a drink at the first bar, save the second half for the next bar.”  Seriously, I don’t try to make her laugh but I love that I do, and that her responses are serious but funny.  Yesterday she reminded me of Marge Simpson so I had to stop thinking about it J Bobby said she reminded him of a mortician.  She is so smart, poised, sweet and serious and really looks nothing like Marge or a mortician. 
My second round of chemo was today and went well.  Right after it I got my hair trimmed.  It’s been 3 ½ weeks since I cut it and I couldn’t stand it!  It was too long!  I love it and hope I can wear it like this when my hair grows back!  Amy at One to One Salon has been doing my hair for 5 years and always makes me look good.  I’ll post pics of the transition when we make the final cuts if I don’t get to it before.  I can’t believe I was just in Oregon 1 month ago with ‘long’ hair! 

2 comments:

  1. My dear daughter Kristyn, I hope your friends and family are reading your blog. it is inspiring to see your humor and social personality even in a cancer mode. I am so thankful you have Dr. Barnhill and she gives you the time you need to talk. I am also thankful that I could be with you at your 2nd treatment yesterday (Bobby was with you at the first one just 2 weeks ago) and know that you are well taken care of by nurses. It was a nice setting looking out the window at the blue sky, the palm trees and the red trolleys going back and forth. You know that I am here to help in any way that I can. It is your job to concentrate on getting healthy again - and you will!! For you I say: I will be healthy. I will heal. I will survive. I will thrive. All for those who love you so much,especially your husband, little Micah, Hele'na and your mom brother and all your friends who have been so wonderful with cards, texts, calls and packages in the mail! WOW! And a wonderful church family who is in your corner with support, meals and care for you. 143mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mom. It is great to have so much support from friends and family!

    ReplyDelete