Sunday, October 7, 2012

Chickens, goats, cows, corn and Badgers!

We had planned a trip Madison, Wisconsin with our good friends Gabe and Katie a few months back because the guys wanted to shop at their favorite store, Deluth Trading Company, and Katie was going to show us where she grew up. Tell me it's not funny to go on a trip for your husband to go shopping at his favorite clothing store! This has been a great trip and perfect timing to get my mind of things as I wait to start chemo. Thursday we stayed in Milwaukee. We went to dinner at a Safe House, very cool, and then went out. Friday we got up, drove to Madison and had lunch and a delicious Brandy Old Fashion before heading to Deluth Trading Company. We dropped the guys off to shop and went to see one of Katie's friends whom I met at Gabe and Katie's wedding. Once we were able to drag the guys away from the store we headed to the farm. We "helped" Katie's mom feed her goats and chickens and then went to Katie's sisters to milk some cows. Her sister and her family milk about 180 cows, twice a day, every day, 7 days/week, 365 days/year.  Ugh I can't even comprehend that!! The hospitality of Katie's family has been fantastic. They showed us what they do, fed us an amazing dinner that everyone pitched in to make, gave us rooms, made us Apple Pie (apple cider w/everclear. Yum), and treated us like family.
Today we're headed to tailgate for the Badger game. I had to stay true to my Beaver roots so we're not going into the game, just tailgating the whole time. Typical of my football fashion at OSU (Go Beavs!). I'm sure we'll have fun today.  It's cold, way colder than NOLA, but perfect football weather.


















As for my annoying little friend, Breast Cancer, that bitch has been on the sidelines this weekend. (why is it a "girl?". I'll see what I can do about that!). Monday I have my pre-op appointment for the port-a-cath and a  chemo education appt to find out about all my medications I'll be taking. My mom and I decided we'd keep track of all the receipts just to see how much I spend on rx's. Luckily I have insurance!  Tuesday I'm getting my Mirena taken out. The best and easiest form of birth control but it releases a hormone that the docs are worried about. However, I've been instructed to NOT get pregnant while I'm going through treatment.  Makes sense but I only know one sure way to prevent pregnancy and I'm pretty sure my husband won't like that!  Right after that procedure I get the port-a-cath put in. All this in preparation for my first chemo treatment which should be Wednesday morning. I'm nervous.  How sick will I get? When will I get sick? Will the nurses like me? Will I like them?  What about the other patients? Should Bobby come the first time? Or my mom?  I kind of want to be there alone but once I'm there I bet I change my mind. And you know the ultimate question, when will my hair fall out???  We will soon find out the answers to all these questions.
Oh yah!  My mom has been with Micah while we've been gone. I miss him and am looking forward to getting him up on Monday morning!!  Thanks for taking care of him, Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment