Tuesday, October 2, 2012

I'm still going to lose my hair

Yes this whole thing freaks me out but right now I'm focusing on small things like losing my hair.  Because that's easier to deal with.
The Oncologist report - in my words:
The cancer is Stage 2A.  It's Stage 2 because of the size (bigger).  It's aggressive.  Aggressive mostly in that it's abnormal. It's probably been there for a year, maybe less, so it's grown fast and could keep growing.  The MRI showed no signs of it being in the lymph nodes or spreading at this time.  Chemo starts next week but first I have an echo cardiogram and have to get a port-a-cath put in.  I think I'll come out of this with a few scars.  16 weeks of chemo - the first 8 weeks will be 2 drugs every 2 weeks.  The last 8 weeks will be 1 drug every 2 weeks, I think.  Half way through we evaluate to see if the tumor shrunk, then we'll decide what surgery to do.  Unless I carry the gene indicating I'm more likely to get Breast Cancer again or ovarian cancer in which case we'll know what surgery.  I'm ok not knowing which surgery yet, it's kind of nice to not worry about that right now.  I know where I want to have it though!  This place and their "spa like atmosphere..."  I could handle that. 
So I start Chemo next week.  That's crazy.  And my hair will fall out.  That's really crazy.  And my eye brows and eye lashes.  Really?  I asked why the hair can't stay in and just not grow instead of completely falling out and the doctor nicely answered my childish question - that it kills the folicle.  That's freaking stupid. 


No comments:

Post a Comment