Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Nov 20


Nov 20 - I’m thankful this week is a 4 day work week because this week is full of appointments, 6 appointments to be exact.  Yesterday morning I had a bone scan because my hip had been hurting.  The pain was due to something that happened before cancer and chemo but Dr Barnhill wanted me to get it checked.  The bone scan came back with good results – nothing to cause concern and no additional tests necessary. 
Then in the afternoon Bobby and I went and met with Dr. Sullivan, the surgeon who will do my reconstructive surgery (that’s 2 appointments for Monday).  Based on conversations with women who have been through this before and conversations and recommendations from doctors I’ve decided to do a double mastectomy with tissue reconstruction.  Dr Jones, the surgeon who did my biopsy and inserted my chemo port, will do the mastectomy.  At the same time, Dr. Sullivan will “harvest the abdomen” (tell me that doesn’t sound strange) meaning he’ll be getting my tummy tissue ready to move to my breasts.  I will not get implants, Dr. Sullivan will use my tissue to reconstruct both of my breasts. This produces a more natural look and I won’t have foreign substances in my body.  This is an inpatient procedure but I’ll only be in the hospital for 3-4 nights (I’ve requested 4 nights from the get go, give me all the help and care I can get!).  I won’t be able to lift anything over 10lbs for 4 weeks which means I won’t be able to lift Micah and I will have to sleep upright or on my back for 4 weeks. 

Today I had my lab work and check up with Dr. Barnhill.  Everything looks good.  It took her a little longer than last time to find the tumor, which she said she’s not going to call a mass anymore but I can’t remember what she’s calling it.  She is pleased with my progress and my reaction, or lack thereof, to chemo.  I don’t think it’s very common for people to not be sick or have many negative symptoms.  Tomorrow around 2pm CST I will be half way through my chemo plan. 
After I met with Dr. Barnhill I had my psychotherapy appointment with Dr. Weiss (that’s 2 appointments today).  I really like her and I think she’s going to help me a lot, not just to deal with cancer but become a better me.
Tomorrow is Chemo which seems to be an all day affair.  I get Thursday off, as do my nurses and doctors.  Then Friday I go back for my white blood cell shot. And there we go – 6 appointments in 4 days.
I suppose you might wonder why I’ve chosen the double mastectomy route if my tumor has shrunk so much.  Based on conversations with breast cancer survivors who only had the lump removed or who had a single mastectomy, they all wish they had a double mastectomy so they wouldn’t have to worry about breast cancer coming back. And conversations with my surgeon who said the surgeons at the Center for Restorative Breast Surgery are the best in the world and I should take advantage of them being right here in my city.  And because I’m young (I could have 40+ years to live which seems like a really long time!) and have a young son, why worry about breast cancer for the rest of my life?  So, after serious consideration this is the decision we’ve made. 
 

3 comments:

  1. Way to go, Kristyn. I'm proud of you not only for your strength and determination, but also because you've put so much thought into the best plan and are able to describe what's going on. It's so hard for people to share complex medical issues, and their decisions about those issues, with people--especially in writing. Brava for figuring this all out and being able to share it with us so clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am all for the double on the first round! My friend started with a lumpectomy and 2 years later had the double. I applaud all of your research and questions. You have a great support system and will do great through all of the surgery and reconstruction -- I have no doubt!! We love you and will keep praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hearing the good news you're getting and can't wait to hear more. You're always on my mind. xoxo

    ReplyDelete