Thursday, November 8, 2012

Nov 8


Nov 8 – I’m thankful for sleep that I didn’t get last night but am hoping to get tonight!  Don’t worry, I was fine I just couldn’t go back to sleep after I woke up.

To answer some questions about what I am going through.

I meet with Dr Barnhill, my Oncololist, the day before every chemo treatment.  First I get some blood taken so they can make sure my levels are where they should be before chemo.  I’m not sure what all they check but so far I’ve passed the tests.  If I didn’t pass the tests my chemo treatment would possibly be pushed out so they can address the issues. 

Then I meet with Dr Barnhill.  I’m not sure the official intent of the meeting but this is what happens – Her and I sit and talk about what I’ve been going through the past 2 weeks.  I ask questions, tell her my symptoms and she takes notes, asks questions and gives me advice.  I make her laugh occasionally, yesterday it was a story I told her about confusing the preparation H and sensodyne toothpaste. And then she does an examination and listens to my lungs and heart. 

I don’t know if everyone meets with their Oncologist before every treatment but I love it.  Some people go in for their lab work the day they get chemo but I prefer knowing that I can come in the next day for chemo. 

I asked about the white blood cell shot and Dr Barnhill said it’s the same concoction every time so my lab work does not play into the shot.  I also told her my hip started hurting again (previous injury, not life threatening just painful.  It can be treated with vicodin, cortisone shot or surgery) and she ordered a bone scan.  White blood cell shots can cause pain in my bones so she isn’t worried but wants to make sure everything is ok.  White blood cells live in our bone marrow, inside our bones, which explains why people complain of bone pain.

1 comment: